Thursday, June 23, 2011

5-21-11 First day in Vietnam

We arrived in Vietnam tonight at 2130 or so. It feels a lot later than that. I did sleep a bit on the plane, but I’m tired. The visa was not hard to get. I had been fretting over what would happen if I was unable to obtain a Visa…. But everything went smoothly. The driver who brought us from the airport to the hotel was driving like a maniac, as was most everyone else. He had a lot of sharp turns, and it seemed like we were mere inches from the other cars, trucks, and mopeds. I remember closing my eyes in fear a lot during that trip.

Hannah said that "it kinda looks like a school of fish"
When my eyes were open I saw hundreds of people on mopeds. All of whom were wearing helmets! It was hard to see much of the city at night. I can’t wait till it is day so I can take a look at everything… but I don’t think I’ll get use to this kind of driving. Oh, and at the beginning of the ride he told us we needn’t wear seat belts. Ah!!!! I can’t imagine. Professor DeJong very kindly said “I will, just because it is such a habit for me.” It was a habit for all of us, especially during this trip.

I was sooo ready to sleep right now.
Tea pots instead of coffee pots
Our hotel is nice, and there is air conditioning. Electricity only works when the hotel card is in a slot in the room… it took us a little while to figure that out. Don’t brush your teeth with the water…. Don’t brush your teeth with the water. I keep reminding myself, but I am afraid that I will forget at some point during this trip. Well, it is time to sleep it has been a very, very long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment